Pages

Dynamic Glitter Text Generator at TextSpace.net

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Bernadette Series II

The Bernadette Series II
The Mystery of The Purse
Stephanie Choi

Didicated to Harish of India

I
I
I watch her as she flips the pages of the book silently; she appears to be innocent in all aspect. Her blue eyes tells you nothing but sadness and a thousand question of why, her long blond hair is the perfect picture of the phrase crowning glory.
She’s living a close to normal life so far.  She has been with me for two years, from the moment she was discharge from the hospital. She hardly talks but at least she’s talking unlike her first five months.

She’s 18 and I’m 29, its funny how time flies. The first time she drove her to Harvard was the hardest part of being close to this stranger, and yesterday was the happiest moment when she picked her up from the air port to have her spring vacation spent home.

She gave her choices, she can spend the spring break in Miami but Shella has chosen to stay close to a home she had found two years ago.

You might think I’m too generous to even send her to Harvard, well I’m not and with my pay check I can’t afford it, My step dad is sending him to school he though she has potential to be a criminal lawyer, which he failed to have in me. I don’t have hurt feelings about it, I love what I do best and somehow he’s happy for me. He could be jack ass in court but he’s sweet to me, though he know his blood is not running throw my vein he still considers me to be his flesh and blood.
Shella seems to notice me so she waved, she went inside and before I know it she is standing beside me with the book still in her hands. 

I though you are here for vacation?

Yes I am, it is spring break, remember? She smiles, I don’t know where she learned it but I guess the tragedy is starting to fade.
 
Yes spring break means vacation, So why are the books still in your hands?
Uhm! This? Putting the book in clear view nothing I just got nothing to do.
Why don’t we drive to the lake? I suggested which I think a bad Idea.

Do you think they already forgot what happen? I know she was talking about what happen two years ago.

Shella it was not your fault, I tried to hug her which she did not refuse.
Yes but people will be staring at me and you as well. I hate it when people do that.

Don’t worry, this is for sure just a small town and everybody knows everybody, but I know they don’t blame you about what happen, besides that was two years ago.

She cracks a smile “Okey I guess it’s about time to face my fear anyway”

II
It was pass five when they returned home from the lake, both exhausted but happy. She pulled to the drive when she saw Charlie with a fellow standing at their porch, they appear to be waiting for them.

She tosses the key to Shella and wave to Charlie.

Hi Charlie what brings you here?

Oh Hey, Berna, Shella, where have you been?

Oh been to the lake, she motion shella to go inside and make some coffee.

Who is this guy? Pointing to an obviously non American fellow.

Oh! This is Harish a student from Harvard. She came to see your sister.Yes that is true Shella is no longer a Smith, she’s now legally Mallore.

Charlie saw the bitch look in her eyes and he knows what it means.

Look Berna I’m sorry I know how bad this may look like but I’m jut trying to help this fellow, he said he needed it bad.

You should try to help your neighbors first Charlie. She motions both to have a seat.

What do you need her for boy?

First of all I’m not a boy I’m 22, and my name is Harish. I need her for my research. The young fellow is blunt and he like him that way, but it doesn’t mean she will allow it.

For your what?

He needed my research about the drug that I created two years ago that almost cause my life. His name is Harish Ahuja, a chemical engineering student, sophomore from the same school I am in right now.  He is Indian there is no doubt about that, though he have fairer skin compared to Indians in general I still know that he is. Am I right Mr. Ahuja. That was Shella no body notices that she is there and no body knows how long.

Oh! Yes indeed I never know I was that popular in school, he extended his hands in attempt to shakes hand with Shella.

I don’t shake hands with people I just know by name, and more to people I don’t like.

Shella distribute the coffee to them all and sit just beside her. Charlie on the other hand is speechless and so she was, she never thought Shella can be this bitch.

Both Charlie and Berna knew they are not needed in there so they excused them selves and went inside the house.

Did you know that she can talk like that? That was Charlie.

No never, I never hear her speak like that before; she is always shy and timid.
Well I guess that’s what they teach in Harvard.

Hey hold on! not all, remember I am from that school as well.

Oh yeah my apology your highness. Charlie bow like a knight which made her laugh.

Meanwhile out in the porch.

I know it’s not easy for you to give the chemical but if you’re not going to give it to people who can improve it and put it in real use then what for did you risk your life stealing it from the lab. I know the reason why you were shot and I know why you ended up here. You were supposed to meet my father, to give the drug since you suspected that somebody from the lab altered the formula. 

Yes and I did not expect that your father will double cross me and sell me to some other mob” Shella finished the sentence for Harish.

Harish bows his head in shame. 

I’m sorry about my father but I’m not my father. I’m different.

How can you be different from your father if you carry the same genes? Genes of a tyrant, I was willing to give it to your father for free just because I want to clear my name, I want to show the world that it can really cure cancer, but your father was a greedy man, he wanted to make money out of it.

That is the reason I am here, I want to ask for forgiveness and I want to make things right. I want to help you clear your name.

Too late I already cleared my name, I’m not miss smith anymore remember, I have a brand new life and I want to keep it that way. I found a family of my own someone I can run to. I hope you are not about to ruin that life like your father did to my old life. Besides what makes you think I still have the formula, if I have it then I could have sold it anywhere.

I know you can’t do that.

What makes you so sure? You don’t know me at all.

I know you are a good person and I know you can’t afford to be a reason of someone else’s misery. 

Stop the sweet talk Harish I don’t buy then, I stop buying them since the day I met your father.  As I told the news paper I lost the formula the moment I was shot. They believed me and so should you.

The thing is I don’t buy it either, I know you will keep looking for it if you lost it, but you did not.

I did, you just don’t know, as I’ve said you don’t know me. I went looking for about six months followed my trail but I did not find any. I bet your father took it after he shots me.

He did not shot you.

Okay let me rephrase my sentence then. After he ordered his man to shot me. “Satisfied”, but it looks like your father don’t have it, if he does he won’t send you as far as here to talk to me. Which makes me wonder why don’t he send his man again I know it will be easier, I doubt if you can even pull a trigger. 

Stop it! my father died a year ago, and he was sorry about what he did to you. He asked me to make it up to you.

Shella was shock but it doest show.

Well them his death is enough to make it up to me, tell his grave he may rest in peace.

I never though you are as cold blooded as this.

I learn it from your father Harish; blame it to the man who taught me everything I know.  I know you are just like your father; you are more interested in the formula more than making it up to me.  I know one when I smell one, your father taught me well. 

You can go now, I know where you checked in and I know you followed me from Harvard to here. Go and forget about everything, pretend you never meet me. You will never get anything from me. If you really want the formula I can start to study it again but this time it won’t be for free. I learn my lesson. Now go I don’t have anything else to say.

 Harish stands, I will be back Miss Mallore I hope next time you change your mind.

Is that a threat, well don’t waste your time, I’m already dead a long time ago, threat wont scare me. Not a single cell in my system.

She watches him walk to his car and disappear. That’s the time she feel relief, she can’t believe it herself but she’s a new person now. She took the mug and walk inside the house. She meets Charlie on her way in.

“He’s gone.

We saw it, I’ll be on my way as well. 

She nodded and then walked straight to the kitchen where she washed the cups. She went straight to her room and the moment she locked her door the lights were on. Sitting on her bed is her sister.

What are you doing here?

Is this what he came for?

Shella pretended she was shocked but Bernadette did not buy it.

I wonder why you never asked for it since the day you came home, you never mention about it. I though you forgot it but when I heard the conversation between you and that young fellow I realize there has to be a connection between this and that man.

Did you open it?

No I did not, I wanted to but I just don’t know why I can’t. What is with this purse?

I wish I can lie but I know you heard everything. That’s the original formula of the medicine I made that can cure cancer, but somebody on the lab altered the formula and during the time of the test it was found out that it can kill more than it can cure. I know it was altered because I tested the formula my self without anyone knowing. I was suffering from brain cancer and that was the formula that cured me.

So you broke into your own lab to steal the formula?

Yes, it was Harish father who told me he helped them altered but there is one remaining formula that has never been touched.  He asked me to steal it and put it into good use. I was young back then and still am, so I agreed but something happen along the way, I went earlier to the meeting place and found out that he was about to sell it to someone. I’m giving it to him for free and he’s going to sell it. I run but he saw me so he ordered his man to follow me. I was carrying two purses back then I throw the one purse to the lake, the same lake where we went. That is the one they followed but they already fired on me that’s the reason I was in your door step.

Why did you not ask for it when you went out the hospital?

Because you did not tell me, and I know you can keep it a secret.

How sure are you I can keep it a secret and why did you believe me that I did not open the purse.

Because I know it was not open since the time I closed it. If you turn the lock of the purse a chemical reaction will happen inside and the purse will turn red, as I can see it’s still colored yellow except the red blood drops.

"I see."

I know you won’t trust me anymore after this and maybe you regret keeping me. I may walk away right now if you want to but please don’t.  I already have a family please don’t take it away from me.” She begged

I wont, there are things I don’t understand, things that are not clear to me right now but one thing is for sure you are still my sister.

Thank you!” She’s already crying.

They hugged like they never hugged before.

"So what do you want me to do with this, burn it?"

No, we can use it someday, who knows, that is the original formula, and don’t try to put it in a deposit box. I am sure they are following us now. Just keep it where you use to keep it and don’t tell me where. It’s better that way.

You scared me.

I know but I also know the man behind Harish, he can kill if he wanted to. Glad that he’s dead.

Who?

His father!

You know him?

I have been to their place few times before, and I know how much he wanted to please the old man. He’s different now though, it looks like he develops a confidence.
 
You don’t like him do you.

Nor anyone in his family.

He looks fine to me, charming and innocent.

Don’t be fooled, they were train to be like that.

Are you?

No, not me I’m just a poor scientist who happen to have a brain of a genius.
Okey enough bragging hehe I know you are a genius.  I’ll go keep this one and you go re-heat the food and please call the pizza house. I feel like I want to celebrate something tonight. 

Okey….” And then she went off.

They were eating and laughing when they heard the door bell ring; looks like the finger of that person never leave the button. 

“Who’s there?” Bernadette Shouted.

It’s Charlie Berna, I have a bad news.

You always bring me bad news, what else is new?

Shella you know the Indian guy who came to visit you right?

Yes I do now why?

He’s in the hospital right now, he was shot at the lobby, the hotel where he checked in.

Both ladies were shocked.

She came to see you shella and I guess you are the only one who really know him. The police already notify his family but no one is taking care of him right now. I know this may sound ridiculous but maybe you can help him.

“I’m not interested,” shella walked away from the door. 

Shella maybe we can just check him out.

“You can go I’ll stay.” She’s stubborn this time.

Shella come on you know the guy, sure you can help.

“To whom do I own the favor?” She asked as if she’s ready to give up.
To me.

Fine let’s go….

Note: I Plan to continue this part on the fourth one. to tell you honestly I don't have any Idea how should I end this.... maybe i can learn if from your suggestion. I'm wondering it its a good Idea for Harish and Shella to be together.

_____________________________________________

A Letter To Harish,
hope you wont hate me for making your father a bad guy in this part of the story.  It's just fiction. :)
and sorry for nearly killing you hehe!

_______________________________________________
I decided to make the story longer than I plan to.

The Bernadette Series III
"A Letter From Malaysia"
Stephanie Choi

dedicated to balqis of Malaysia

It was her first time to set foot in an Asian soil and thanks god its not summer in Malaysia.

She arrived earlier than her schedule and she's expecting the person who will pick him to be five minutes late. But she was wrong, there she saw a guy in black suit standing there with her name on the card board. 

He don't look like the average south east Asian when it comes to height, and that is so obvious since he's standing there a few inches taller than the other people who are waiting.




4 comments:

Hairyman said...

Wow ok this is a huge honor to me!
First of all, it's cool that you made my dad the bad guy hehe. I find it funny.
Second, I thought only my fellow Indians found me fairer than all the others. Looks like I'm global now :P

Anyway coming to the main part. I love this story but take some time out to edit more. It's good that it's coming straight from your mind - very apparent, but try to use more quotation marks and dialogues. I had to re-read a few lines to comprehend. Otherwise it is one of your best works (not because it has my name hehe) but in general.
Great going steph :) Thank you so much!!

Stephaine said...

thanks Harish happy that you like it. I made some changes as you suggested and you are right it looks a bit better now. thanks..

let me know some more changes I have to make to make it even better..

Balqis DBJ said...

It's getting more interesting now. I'm waiting anxiously for the part on Malaysia. :) I hope to read it later.

@Harish, this isn't insulting, but there are some Indians who are fairer than the others. Even Malaysian Indians. Another example is from Bollywood movies, the actors and actresses are fair.

Stephaine said...

@balqis I'm already half way but I'll be traveling today till Thursday. I wish there is Wifi to the place where I'm going hehe..

Post a Comment

Infolinks In Text Ads